Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Engineering is also developing on-site power generation business to provide reduced energy costs using customized high-efficiency systems.
Thermal, Hydro, and atomic power
State-of-the-art steel products that sustain thermal, hydro, and atomic power generation through to distributionView details
Wide-ranging applications throughout various power generation plants
Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation and Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Stainless Steel Co. Ltd.
A wide range of highly functional products with high strength, high corrosion-resistance, high-temperature strength, and low iron loss.
Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal and Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Stainless Steel Corp.
Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Group products are widely applied in fuel tanks, boilers, turbines, and power transmission and distribution.
Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal offers a wide variety of steel products with the cutting-edge quality required for power generation right through to transmission, such as steel plates, stainless steel, electrical steel sheets, titanium pipes, steel pipes, and construction materials.
Fuel tanks, boilers, turbines and generators.
- Fuel tanks Low-temperature steel sheet
- Combustion furnace walls Steel sheet for high-temperature piping
- Superheaters, reheaters, coal economizers, exhaust heat recovery Steel pipes and tubes
- Generators Electrical steel sheet
- Steam condensers Titanium, stainless steel
- Cooling water circulation pumps, pipes Steel pipes and tubes
- Stacks Corrosion resistant steel plates
- Peripheral ducting Steel pipes and tubes
- Casings Steel plates
- Transformers Electrical steel sheet
- Pole transformer cases Stainless steel (salt resistant steel sheet)
Foundation blocks, buildings
- Headraces and floodways Composite segments
- Buildings etc. Steel plate, building construction products, civil engineering products
Example of leading-edge steel products (1): Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal electrical steel sheet used for generators and transformers.
- For electrical steel sheet used for the cores of generators in power plants and transformers for power transmission, a key point how to reduce energy losses (iron loss) occurring when magnetic steel sheet is magnetized.
- Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal continued to struggle with reduction of iron losses since the start of production in 1924, and has since developed electrical steel sheet with dramatically reduced iron loss. This material is now available, contributing to energy conservation.
Example of leading-edge steel product (2): "High-tensile 100 kg steel" used for penstocks
- In hydro power generation, Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal high-tensile 100kg steel satisfying the need for high strength, high toughness, and weldability, has excellent brittle crack propagation stop characteristics, and is used for penstocks introducing water to turbines in power plants.
- To make the strength and toughness compatible, it became possible to manufacture this steel from high-quality slabs with the least demixing or non-metal inclusion, produced by world-unique vertical-type continuous casting equipment, taking advantage of highly controlled TMCP technology.
Example of leading-edge steel product (3): "Highly corrosion-resistant stainless steel" used for the interior of stacks」
Stainless steel is used for the interior of stacks in thermal power plants from the viewpoint of its anti-corrosive performance.
Especially for heavy oil-fired boilers and oil-fired boilers, highly corrosion-resistant NSSC260 stainless steel is used from the viewpoint of sulfate-resistance and chloride-resistant ionic characteristics.
Example of leading-edge steel product (4): "Titanium pipe" used for condensers from the viewpoint of corrosion resistance
- For a condenser that cools and condenses the steam used by a steam turbine in a power plant through heat exchange with cooling water, titanium is used for most pipes and pipe plates from the viewpoint of corrosion resistance, if seawater is used for cooling.
- Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal titanium pipes and pipe sheets (including explosion-bonded clad products*) are widely used in domestic and overseas power plants, an expression of confidence in our titanium products. (* Explosive-bonded cladding on our titanium plates by Asahi Kasei Corporatio
On-site power generation
On-site power generation business that reduces energy costView details
Reducing energy costs using customized high-efficiency systems.
Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Engineering Co. Ltd.
Stable operation based on abundant experience and operation technologies.
Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Engineering Co. Ltd.
What is on-site power generation?
For the on-site power generation business, we install an energy supply plant on the customer's premises and provide a set of mechanisms that supply the required energy (electricity, steam, etc.) for the customer plant to operate for a long time (for approx. 10-15 years).
Among companies of the Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Group, Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Engineering is developing this business.
Contributing to a reduction of energy cost
Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Engineering achieves economical energy supply using custom optimized energy supply systems. For example, FUJIFILM Kyushu Co. Ltd, to which NSE supplies all its utilities for electricity, steam, and purified water has reduced primary energy consumption by 24%, and CO2 emissions by 13% since introducing the system.
Major points in operations
- Since Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Engineering provides everything from design and building through to operation of the energy supply system, no customer manpower is necessary for the energy facility.
- For fuel, eco-friendly LNG is procured from Nippon Steel Group.
- Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Engineering operators are stationed on-site around the clock, and operation is further monitored in Tokyo (at the Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Engineering headquarters) and Chiba (at the Kimitsu Works).
- A gas turbine, a large-scale UPS (Japan's largest) and a high-speed circuit breaker are installed to avoid the impact of a system failure (instantaneous voltage drop).
Our abundant experience in energy-related business achieves stable operations.
Based on the energy plant operation and engineering capabilities cultivated by Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Engineering at the NSSMC works, the Group as a whole is experienced in power plant, gas supply base, and energy-related operations. Large numbers of certified engineers and specialists are employed by Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Engineering to facilitate stable operations.
Since Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Engineering also owns the facility assets and guarantees the efficiency and performance of facilities, along with maintenance costs, customers can avoid the future risks of decreased efficiency and increased maintenance costs.
Used in the following applications
For further product information
Product Quotes, and inquiries without complete information required in inquiry form may not be responded to. Selection of inquiries for reply online is at the sole discretion of NSSMC. We appreciate your understanding.