- Aug. 04, 2017 NSSMC’s proprietary titanium product TranTixxii™ is adopted for cladding of a theater in Jiangsu Province, China
- Jun. 28, 2017 NSSMC and Standard Steel Receive TTX “Excellent Supplier 2016” Award
- Mar. 31, 2017 Anti-Corrosion Processing with Titanium Foil Is Adopted for a Steel Lighthouse for the Japan Coast Guard
- Feb. 28, 2017 NSSMC starts branding development of TranTixxii™ designing titanium products Demonstrating superior material characteristics and elegance
- Feb. 27, 2017 NSSMC Named a Top 100 Global Innovator in 2016 for Fifth Consecutive Year
Titanium, a Material with nearly infinite Possibilities
Titanium is well known for its properties of lightness, strength, and high-corrosion-resistance, but it is not so well known that there are other propertiess and what they are really capable of. Titanium is a 'new' metal that was discovered in 1790 and started to be produced industrially in 1948 after a long period of matuaration since its discovery. Because of its bountiful reserves and excellent bio-friendliness, titanium is a material friendly to the environment and humans. Through research and development this material has revealed neally infinite possibilities one after another.
Relative Comparison Between Titanium and Typical Metals
Processability of Titanium
- Titanium with formability in accordance with JIS class1 can be formed using almost the same tools, jigs, or machines as those for low-carbon steel and stainless steel. It also has excellent deep drawability.
- It can be seam-welded or spot-welded in the similar method as stainless steel in the atmosphere. For general welding (mainly by TIG welding), argon for its shield gas and other appropriate welding management are required. There is no concern about corrosion of welded portions nor stress corrosion cracking.
Economical Efficiency of Titanium
- Unit price per mass is more expensive than that of low-carbon steel and stainless steel, but titanium's low specific gravity reduces the difference per volume.
- Also, reduction in thickness of gauge is possible by virtue of its high specific strength and high-corrosion-resistance, which are sufficiently beneficial to users, taking into consideration reduced life cycle costs due to reduced maintenance costs.
- For example, there are several advantages in using titanium as building material products (roofs and exterior walls) such as optimized construction efficiency and improved aseismic performance due to reduction of mass as well as the advantage of reduced life cycle costs.
Type of Titanium and the Standards
|Category||typical chemical compositions||properties|
|Commercially pure titanium||JIS class 1 to 4||Good formability (Grade 1)
Relatively high strength (Grade 4, TS=700MPa)
|α-type + β-type||Ti-6Al-4V
Difficult to be cold-forming
Difficult to be cold-forming
* NSSMC's original alloys
For further product information
Product Quotes, and inquiries without complete information required in inquiry form may not be responded to. Selection of inquiries for reply online is at the sole discretion of NSSMC. We appreciate your understanding.